Saturday, April 5, 2008

"I Hope You All Fall"

So, the hotel.

Nice enough place...looks like a poor man's version of a hotel in Atlantic City (sans the slots). Though it's called a "Resort and Convention Center," I couldn't imagine anyone coming for the former. There are several meeting rooms and each one seems to be occupied this weekend, from "The 2008 Mighty Mens Something" (which is some sorta black religious male organization) to "The Diamond Dancers." (which are 6-8 year old female tap dancers)

The tap dancers drove the front desk people insane. They had to repeatedly yell, "Please, take off your tap shoes while walking in the lobby!" When they weren't saying that, they were screaming, "No running in the lobby, please!"

After the thirty-seventh time, they put up signs all over the lobby (pics to follow). After the eighty-ninth time, I heard one of the front desk people say, under her breath but loud enough for me to hear, "I hope you all fall."

UPDATE - Just found out there is a dance competition here this weekend for young girls, which makes sense. With all these girls wearing different jackets, I was beginning to wonder if this was like some young girl gang meetup (a la in The Warriors).

I think my favorite group here is this group of senior citizens who were congregated in one of the ballrooms downstairs (which is where my room is...details to follow). There were huge plastic dice and a faux roulette wheel on each table. I was wondering why a group of gambling seniors would come here. Then I saw....

A rather hefty, early 70's era Elvis entered from behind a curtain to raucous applause (or as raucous as AARP members get). He immediately jumped into "Blue Suede Shoes" (he was backed by a sound system), bringing up a few old ladies join him.

btw - I found out that the Hershey Chocolate tour is really just a tour of simulation of the factory. It's not even the real factory! What are they afraid Ol' Slugworth is gonna steal their recipies?

I've never heard anyone who toured it say it was a simulation either. To me, that's like going to see an elvis impersonator and claiming you saw Elvis.

Rock On,

Aitch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ! The AARP eligibility age not far for me!