Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Mennonite Wedding (First of a possible series)

First of all, for those that don't know, Mennonites are an offshoot of Amish. I believe they're slightly less ridiculous (Yes, that's the official definition).

ANYWAY, Saturday, Josie's mennonite cousin got married somewhere in rural Pennsylvania so I got to meet the entire clan. We got up at seven to take the train in Seacaucus at eight for a three hour car-ride to the wedding. Oh boy.

So, the wedding.

First of all, when we got there the bride and groom were taking pictures on a tractor. The tractor that they drove in on, and will go home in (on?).

While the bride wore a simple white gown, the groom, and male members of the wedding party were dressed in black. Black shirt, black jeans, and yes, black cowboy hats. For color, they wore red ties. Nice touch, I must admit. I asked Josie's mom if that was a mennonite tradition, she replied, "No, they're just cowboys."
"Oh."
They looked like Doc Holliday and his gang looking for Wyatt Earp. By the way, the groom and best man never took their hats off.

The ceremony included four hymns, performed live with a band (including a drummer!). Oddly enough, the reception did not have a band. Religious music was piped in. Obviously, there was no dancing. There was also no alcohol. I felt like I stumbled onto a remake of Footloose.

The food was set up in the front of the room, buffet-style. I can tell you exactly what they had: String beans, potatoes (au-gratin?), and ham loaf. Yes, ham loaf.

When i ate it, I thought it was meat loaf. To be honest, I thought it was really good. It was only later when I found out it was ground up ham. I wish I knew before, I would've studied it more...than again, maybe I was better off not knowing.

If you're wondering if there were any choices, the answer is yes - They had two styofoam dishes, one with ketchup, and one with bbq sauce....for the ham loaf.

Finally, at most weddings, people clink glasses to make the bethrothed kiss, right? Not here...they had a tip jar. In fact, when one table started clinking their silverware (the glasses were plastic), the bride picked up the tip jar and shook it.

After we left, Josie told me that they want to visit us in New York.
"That should be funny."
"Why? Cause they've never been to New York?"
"Well, that, and can you imagine trying to find a parking spot for a tractor?"

Rock On,

Aitch

2 comments:

acw said...

Thanks to you, I've spent the last few hours reading about the Amish and Mennonites on Wikipedia.

Harris said...

Hey anonymouscoworker,

HA! That's great, cause as I've always said, my purpose here isn't just to entertainment, but to inform.

Ok, I've never said.

Rock on,

Aitch