Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yeah, Thanks But No Thanks

A couple of weeks ago, I almost fainted in the subway. I prolly woulda if I didn't take a seat. Curious what happened, I went to my doc, who took blood and did an EKG. Nothing came up so he sent me for a tilt table test.

This morning was said test. I went to NYU Hospital, signed the necessary documents, and was called in by the nurse. She asked if I knew what the test was.
"Basically, you strap me to a table for like an hour, and slowly tilt it to see if I faint."
"Right... but we also give you an intravenous line."
"Huh? Why?"
"Well, if we can't induce a fainting spell, we try inject you with (something) to make it happen."
"Say wha'?"
"You're gonna make me faint?" I started to feel faint.
"That's the idea...to see how your body reacts."
"But, I only had one episode."
"Well, it is unusual for someone without repeated problems to take this test. It's up to you."

That's all I had to hear...I was gone.

Before leaving, she did recommend that I try to get a seat on the subway to avoid a repeat (assuming I did have this vaso-kegel something or other), so if you see me pushing a pregnant woman holding a baby out of the way to grab a seat on the subway, I hope you understand.

Rock On,

Aitch

2 comments:

Jill said...

I don't just understand. I would expect no less of you.

Harris said...

Hey Jill,

Good... it's all about managing expectations.

Rock On,

Aitch