Thursday, September 25, 2008

Performance Anxiety

So I had this audition last night at Gotham Comedy Club for a talent agency. How'd I do? On a scale of 1-10, I grade myself a six...Josie gave me a seven. Some jokes at the beginning of my set that normally get good laughs, only got middlin' laughs. I think it was due to nerves (mine, not the audience).

As some readers (actually maybe only one) know...I suffer from stage fright. That wouldn't be such a big deal if I were say, an accountant, but it's kinda important when you're a stand-up comic.

It's not uncommon for me to get headaches and/or stomach aches before shows (I even get nervous at open mics). I've also gotten lock jaw, shortness of breath and/or "the shakes."

It's gotten better but it always kills me when I get the "you look so comfortable/confident up there" as it's the last thing I'd expect to hear.

btw - this blog is the basis of my memoir.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: