Monday, March 31, 2008

It Wasn't The Audience

I did a show a few nights ago in a bar in New Jersey. It was sposed to be a contest (the winner gets free dinner for two at the bar). It wasn't the best show I've ever been a part of...What was wrong with it? Well.....

1 - They started a half hour late
2 - They had four comics go up BEFORE the contest started (and there were fifteen in the contest).
3 - One co-host basically relied on her looks - she had no jokes whatsoever - then blamed audience when they didn't laugh.
4 - The other co-host did zero crowd work - just did material - to complete silence. When they were backstage, the co-hosts talked about how dead the crowd was.
5- The first comic, who sposedly won some Jersey contest ended his set with - "I see guys in orange jumpsuits with NYDOC on back anyone know what that stands for?"
An audience member said, "NJ dept of Corr." He goes...

"No, it stands for Ni**ers Just Doing Our Chores"

Nice.

6- Pretty much every comic did his/her act to silence (and it wasn't the audience's fault)

7- The comic before me was Muslim (I think) - part of his "act" was to put on a fake big nose, big black hat, and hair down his sides (like the religious dudes do) and did an offensive impression of a Jew who works in the diamond district.

The host said, "And there ya go...a Muslim playing a Jew."

When I got up I opened with, disgustedly, "Just so ya know, I'm a Jew playing a Jew."

The "best" part was that the crowd (about 25 peeps) paid ten bucks each. Ouch!

Rock On,

Aitch

6 comments:

bvd said...

wish I could do shows like that. damn. one day...

Harris said...

hey bethany,

someday bethany...someday

rock on,

aitch

Josh Homer said...

I just wish I was there.

Harris said...

hey joph homer,

until i got up, i wish i wasn't

rock on,

aitch

Aalap said...

It really wasn't the audience....
you can only make that excuse if they start trying to harm you.
in this case most of the comedians were trying to harm the audience.

Harris said...

hey aalap,

i know...it was a bizarre show.

Thanks for droppin' by.

rock on,

aitch