Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ghandi

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats her animals"

I never used to be an animal lover. Though I'd smile at cute or funny lookin' dogs, I prolly say I was fairly indifferent to their plight.

That changed when I got a dog (which I got only cause my ex wanted one...and I ended up with Stewie in the break-up).

Now, I'm a lunatic. I even produced and MC'ed a comedy show to benefit my dog run.

In fact, last night I saw Braveheart. The battle scenes really disturbed me, not cause the Scots and English were bludgeoning, impaling, stabbing, and otherwise killing each other, but cause of the many horses that died in the battle... I highly doubt they knew what they were fighting for.

In a similar vein, I used to read Gawker religiously. I stopped, as I found its psuedo-snarkiness more and more grating (I say "pseudo" cause I think to write all day about dumb celebs, you are part of the celeb culture - if you really hated the Lohans/Reids/Spears and all their bs, you wouldn't be able to deal with following it all day, every day).

Recently, I started reading it again. I dunno why, I just did...until yesterday. I ain't gonna link to it but they posted a video of a U.S. soldier throwing a dog off a cliff. Of course it was accompanied by their usual snarky commentary, comparing it to a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I aint' gonna waste anymore time on it, or their site.

Rock On,

Aitch

6 comments:

Bee said...

Why would somebody want to watch a video like that? This is the first I heard of it, why would somebody be so cruel?
Too many whys. :o(

badslava said...

Dogs are awesome. Enough said.

Mimi said...

Hi!

Just found your blog.

Glad I did.

= )

Harris said...

hey bee,

ya got me - enough stuff to get depressed about happening to people - we dont need to see people throwing puppies over cliffs.

hey slava,

i agree...'nuf said.

hey mimi,

welcome and thanks - my readership has increased 20% thanks to you.

rock on,

aitch

Josh Homer said...

Gawker took down the post and issued an apology. The "funny thing" about their post is it was taken from a site that had a bunch of videos of soldiers hurting animals, and the site condemned the soldiers and also asked how we are there to help and be respected and do such horrible things (one video the soldiers shot a dog right in front of it's owner. the soldiers claimed the dog was attacking them in the report but the video shows that to be a lie)

The quesiton which is not asked here or on anyother blog is what is being done to the soldiers for these horrible acts?

Harris said...

hey josh,

i just went to gawker - i see that they issued apology, and, not able to leave well enough alone, they wrote a "snark break" where they asked why people are so attached to dogs, being snarky about it too (they basically give a long version of your joke), and then give the exact reasons why (defensless, unconditional love, etc) - they're idiots.

rock on,

aitch