Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cali Vacation - Part One

Besides some breathtaking pictures, I haven't really mentioned anything about my, err, our vacation, so here goes - but I'm gonna stick to just the odd highlights (and lowlight) -

Josie and I flew JetBlue into San Francisco - I assume one of the flight attendants either had a crush on the pilot or had a hot date as soon as we landed as, on this 7 AM flight, she not only was in full make-up (and more than full for most), but musta walked through the Macy's perfume counter on her way to JFK.
Of coufse I sat in the middle seat, next to Josie and some woman visiting her kids in SF. She wanted to talk. I had zero interest in talking, but didn't want to be rude, so I nodded a lot. Josie was fine with talking. So they talked, around me. And oh yeah, she was hard of hearing...made it all the more fun.

We picked up our rental car - Naturally, they said we didn't ask for the GPS thingy, and they didn't have the car we wanted with the GPS thingy so we had to choose a more expensive car. We chose the convertible, figurin' it's gonna be awesome flyin' down Highway One with the top down. Yeeeehawwww! (this is what writers call "foreshadowing")

She Drives to Napa Valley - One fascinating thing about me is that I hate driving - I even have a low level fear of driving (stemming from a car accident I was in several years ago), but I will if I must. Since our total mileage in Cali would approach 600 or so miles, I knew I'd do some driving, but not yet. Josie drove to Napa to meet her friends. I couldn't help but notice that driving within the city limits made her umm, a little tense (more foreshadowing).

Napa Valley - So we were staying with two of Josie's friends in the husband's step-father's vacation house. He's the kind of old-school money that wears a dinner jacket and tie to Sunday dinner...at home. ANYWAY, they house was, in a word, ridiculous - Lotsa marble, columns, art signed by some dude name "Picasso," you get the idea (actually, you really don't, but whatever...). Nice couple, the guy has a fascination with the term "cold beer." As in, "You want a cold beer?" - "Lucy (their 7 month old daughter), you can't have any of daddy's cold beer!"

(Okay, I'm really tired...late show last night - will write more later)

Rock On,

Aitch

3 comments:

Mimi said...

I hate when people feel as though if a little perfume will make you smell good, taking a bath in it will make your smell GREAT!!!

And in a plane...torture.

The whole talking thing is why I love jet blue. I just pop those headphones in and it's off to TV Land..

Anonymous said...

And you leave us with a cliff hanger. . .


DAMN YOU AND YOUR FORESHADOWING!!!


No, you rock on,

D*S

Harris said...

hey mimi,

yeah, everyone loves jet blue...seriously, it's the one "product" or "name brand" that EVERYONE loves...it's almost spooky

hey dorkie-she,

i gotta give you a reason to check every day...twice

rock on (both of ya),

aitch