Sunday, December 9, 2007

There But For the Grace of Whatever....

As anyone who reads my blog knows, hanging with my girfriend's family, while fun, usually makes for a good blog post (or even a bit for my act), as you can plainly see here and here. Oh, and here.

I was fully expecting yesterday to be no different as we were going over to bake cookies (no, I'm not kidding).

I pictured dropping a tray of cookies that Josie's three-year-old niece had just made. Or maybe knocking over their Christmas tree while trying to put up the final ormament (as it turned out, they didn't have one up). Or at least sweating up a storm when her niece asks why I don't celebrate Christmas.

But none of those things happened.

I thought my Post For the Day would present itself when one hour into our visit, I had to use the restroom, and I didn't wanna use the one downstairs (IF ya know what I mean). I chose to wait as I really didn't wanna feel everyone looking at me when I walked back down the stairs.

It turned out to be the best move I've made since I decided to stop answering e-mails from wealthy Nigerians.

About a half-hour later, Josie's brother, disappeared upstairs. He came down about twenty minutes later with a sheepish grin.

"Ummm, where's the plunger?"
"Why?"
"The toilet's overflowed."

It turned out to be a really "good" overflow too, reaching the hallway. He came downstairs a few times with wet (ugh) towels to be put in the washing machine in the basement.

He may've thought I looked a little too happy that it happened, but not really. I was just happy, and quite frankly shocked, that it wasn't happening to me.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: