Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dad and Fasting

As I'm sure most of you outside the midwest know, today is Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. You are supposed to fast, I think, to cleanse your sins. I am not religious in the least, but I do fast.

Why?

My dad wouldn't work or even drive on the holier days, walking up to an hour to get to my mom's apartment (they were divorced). He always wanted us to be more religious, shaking his head when we weren't respecting our Jewish heritage in his eyes.

When I was younger, I'd fast as a game, just to see if I could make it. Of course, my dad thought it was great that I was fasting, even though he knew my motive wasn't exactly pure.

Now, I fast for a different reason.

R.I.P. Dad.

Rock On,

Aitch

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fasting is very good for one I hear. I try it now and then but then usually have a headache for two days from caffeine and alcohol withdrawal symptoms. If I've understood your post then that's a splendid reason to fast.

Robert