Friday, November 30, 2007

Smoooooooovvvvvvveeeee

Little back story here - So Josie's moving to my place this Sunday and we're gonna lease out her place to my bud. The catch is, we're not telling her building mgt or they'd raise his rent. Got it? Begin scene...

Last night I was carrying boxes to Josie's apartment to help her pack. When I was opening the door to her lobby, there was this middle-aged guy standing there, staring at me, even after I got in. I nervously smiled.

"Do you live here?" he asked.
"Umm, no, my girlfriend does...Josie...apartment 2B," I started, and then redundantly added, "I'm, umm, her boyfriend."
"Oh, okay, I'm the super," he replied, and looking at the boxes added, "Is she moving?"
"Umm, no, you see, ummm, we're painting...

Okay, let's stop the scene right there - you may be wondering why I said, "We're painting." It's a valid question. The answer is... I'm an idiot. It made no sense. Why I would need boxes to paint is beyond me. But let's continue...

....," I started to say, but then realized that she may not be allowed to paint her place without prior approval or something. So I switched gears. "...my place. We're painting my place."

We gotta stop again. That made even less sense. Why the hell we'd be bringing boxes to her place in order to paint my place... I'm speechlesss just thinking about what an idiot I am. At any rate...

He looked at me like I just grew a third eyeball.

At this point, I'm not really sure what I said. I felt like I was on my Blind Date interview, where I was talking and yet had no idea what I was saying. So I can only paraphrase what I said next...

"You see, I don't have the keys to my place, so I'm dropping stuff here." While the super previously looked puzzled, he now looked at me like he suspected I was a member of Al Queda. Seeing this, I added, "It's a long story."

Thankfully, he didn't tell me that he had time. Instead we made some small talk about letting people in the building or something (again, I was completely flummoxed and everything is a blur) before I finally excused myself.

Can't wait for Sunday.

Rock On,

Aitch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story... Next time throw in a "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" to really throw him off.

Harris said...

Thanks (I guess),

Weird how on stage I can talk to an audience, off the cuff, and not be thrown at all, but off-stage - let's just say that I get a lot fo "You're a comic?" kinda remarks.

rock on,

aitch