Sunday, November 25, 2007

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

Saturday night I had a guest spot on a "bringer show" at Gotham Comedy Club. If ya don't know what a bringer show is (and care to find out), read this part of a series I'm writing at reallysmalltalk.com about stand-up comedy...

Bringer shows are....

ANYWAY, most bringer shows (and bringer comics) are, in a word, boring. That's cause most comics at that level aren't that good, or that bad. But Saturday night's show featured something that made me sit up and take notice.

This young comic started talking about how some people's favorite episode of All on the Family was the one in which Edith got raped (I'm not sure that's even true but that's neither here nor there). He proceeded to do a two-minute impression of her getting raped, one which ended with her liking it, and deciding she's a nympho.

Trust me when I say it was worse in person.

What really annoyed me though was how shoddy his research (or memory) was - she wasn't raped - she fought him off.

It's that kinda poor attention to detail that keeps potential customers from going to comedy clubs.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: