Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I Have to Stop Thinking

I live in the same building as the owner of one of NY's best comedy clubs. I've seen him a few times, always when one of us is getting into the elevator while the other is leaving. Naturally, I'm never prepared to meet him, so I end up saying something like "Hey XXXX, how's it goin'?" though I guess what am I supposed to say?

The other day was one of those times, and then I saw him at the club later when I was MC'ing a show. I had no reason to walk up to him during the show so I figured I'd just hang out and watch the comics and if I saw him after, I'd say, "Hey XXXX, we're gonna start seein' each other in our dreams!" and we'd share a hearty laugh.

As the show progressed I stopped watching the comics and started practicing what I was gonna say...

"Hey XXXX, we're gonna start seein' each other in our dreams!"

...over and over again.

Then I thought he might think that's a weird thing to say.

He may respond, "No offense Harris, but I don't think I'll be thinking of you in my dreams."

Then, I'll have to come back with, "No, of course not...I meant that I would dream of you in my sleep...not that I do...dream of you, or anything like that.... I mean, I do think of you sometimes at home...ummm, by 'think' I mean in a professional manner, you know, you as the owner of the club and, umm, yeah..."

I ended up walking past him, saying, "Hey XXXX, how's it goin'?"

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: