Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Off-Broadway Experience

I'm not a fan of Broadway plays. For the most part, they are overpriced, overhyped and underwhelming. I didn't even think Phantom was all that.

I like Off-Broadway plays...at least I like the idea of Off-Broadway plays - strugging artists, working at their craft, not worrying about appealing to families from Kansas City, Missouri... but I rarely go? Why? I dunno...I just don't.

ANYWAY, Josie's friend's friend's boyfriend (I think that's right) is in a limited engagement play in a theater on St. Marks Place (It may be called The St. Marks Theater even, but I forget) so we went last night.

Technically, the theater is under St. Marks, as it's in a basement, which I thought was cool...part of the experience. The building itself looked pre-war...that's pre-Civil War.

Inside, the heat was on, and when I say "on," I mean "blasting." Though the play was decent, I found myself nodding off due to the warmth in the theater. I woke up each time when I shifted in my seat, which were those squeaky aluminum folding chairs. I tried to keep my squirming to a minimum as well due to the aforementioned squeaking.

Halfway through the play, the heat pipes started to loudly rattle. The actors didn't skip a beat, probably either having worked through it before or havng been warned of such a possibility. The audience just leaned in a bit closer to the stage to listen better (as if being three inches closer would help).

Afterwards, discussing the show, Josie said she got a panic attack when the pipes went on, fearing that the ceiling was about to cave in.

See?


That's exactly the kind of visceral experience you just don't get at Broadway shows.

Rock On,

Aitch

2 comments:

WrathofDawn said...

I've worked in theatres like that. It's just all part of the charm, folks, all part of the charm.

Harris said...

Oh, I agree...unless the roof actually DOES cave in...then it's not that charming.