Thursday, January 18, 2007

Getting Critiqued

So I did a ten minute set at Gotham Tuesday night and was critiqued by the owner (Chris) afterwards. My critique was fairly uneventful (I need to write more personal stuff, good for amount of time I've been doing stand-up...) -

What was memorable was the actual greeting. Since I was the first "auditioning" comic to perform, I was the first to get critiqued. I was told to go to the table Chris watched the show from in the back.

When I got there, I said, "Hi, I'm Harris" and started to sit at the seat next to him. As I was sitting he gestured with his right hand for me to sit across from him. I thought he was extending his hand to shake mine, so I extended my right hand. As I did that, he pulled his hand back (since he was just telling me where to sit). So then I pulled my hand back... but not before he realized that I had extended my hand to shake his so he re-extended his hand, this time to meet my handshake. Yes, I then re-extended my hand to shake his, but this time I was just too late as his hand once again receded. Then, we both gave up, well, I'm assuming he gave up...I was just too embarrassed to try again.

(I did shake his hand after).

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: