Saturday, September 17, 2005

An Open Mic

The Harris Bloom Open Mic Tour touched down on the Upper West Side last night - here's how things went down...

Here's the deal - ya pay $5 for 5 minutes of stage time...the "crowd" (10-15 people total) is all comics waiting to get on stage - most left after they did their turn - you can imagine what a great crowd that is

Jessica at Gotham even warned me that it's tough to get a laugh at these things (partly due to comic egos - everyone thinks they're funnier than everyone else).

One comic seemed a little "slow" - I later found out that he was hit in the head a few years ago and has some brain damage

One guy said he's finally found The One - and it's himself - he then proceeded to spend five minutes about going out on a date with himself - yes, five minutes

We had the black dude talking about white people and the chick talking about how tough it is to be single (note: I wonder if I'd roll my eyes if I saw me due my Internet Dating stuff - nah! MINE is clever!)

Almost everyone brought notes up with them...one actually read his act from a notebook

I, in an effort not to repeat what happened last week, actually taped a piece of paper to my hand at work with keywords on each bit on it (dog, heat, work, etc)

when i got to the club, the paper was gone - gulp

Long story short (I know...too late) - I was up 8th - I did my whole routine...didn't forget anything...good pacing - got a couple chuckles but that was pretty much what everyone got (which was ridiculous since I was SO much better than everyone else! - Actually there was one surfer/stoner dude who was awesome...by far the best)

I have another similar thingy tomorrow at NY Comedy Club - I wonder if a few weeks of these open mics with no one laughing will affect my confidence. I guess we'll see.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: