Friday, September 16, 2005

Yesterday's Audition

So I left work at 2:30 for an audition yesterday at New York Comedy Club. If you've never been there, it's kinda like being in CBGB's in teh mid-70's... Though it sounds like a great name for a great comedy club in a great city, you'll feel like getting a tetanus shot after leaving.

Anyway, there were 5 or 6 of us waiting outside for them to open. I wondered aloud if heckling would be allowed - I mean, we WERE competing with each other for a real gig - imagine how great it would be if we were allowed one "YOU SUCK!" per comic.

Finally, we go in and are instructed to go into the #2 room (the #1 room was being used), which is rather appropriately named since it's a piece of crap. It's like performing in the middle of a subway car. Seriously, 1/2 the audience is looking at my bald spot at all times.

Funniest thing to me was how I noticed the comics - including me - watching the manager out of the corner of their eyes when someone else was on stage to see if he was laughing. The only time I saw him laughing was when he made his own joke.

As people trickled in I went on. I did okay - a little more nervous than I'd like, but I got some laughs. He took everyone's number. No call yet.

Some of my favorite auditions...

One guy's whole set was a retrospective of Wil Ferrell's career on SNL - doing one character after another (with wardrobe changes) - nothing funnier than seeing him do schtick with a white wig on and no one laughing

Another guy's CD didn't work so he did his parody song accapella...but he told us everyone once in a while that "this is where the music goes, 'Bum, dum, dum, bui DUM!"

Another guy took off his shoes before going onstage - I have no idea why - didn't figure into his set at all, but I did notice the manager staring at his feet. Personally, I would rinse my feet in Drano if they touched the floor in this place.

Things that annoy me that I can't do anything about, Part 2 (One was the Stand Up NY incident from Tuesday night) - After it was over, the guy that runs the open mic at NYCC walked over to the guy who was sitting next to me. The guy next to me is running a big show at NYU, where he hopefully will make it into a series and the comics will get paid. The open mic runner pleaded his case for being on the show to NYU guy. NYU guy ended up performing at his open mic - I found out this morning that NYU guy "won" a spot at NYCC as the best open mic'er of the evening. The winner was chosen by the guy who runs the open mic. Hmmmm

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: