Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Open Mic at The COmic Strip/Apollo

So I had what I thought was a "bringer" show on Friday eve at Comic Strip Live. I get there and the guy charges me 10 bucks (4 to perform and 6 as a drink voucher). I pay but I'm suspicious; usually at bringer shows, the comic doesn't have to pay, unlike open mics.

I walk into the room and see about 10-11 comics...all black or hispanic.
(Eventually a couple of older white comics walked in.) I immediately dumped my "wine tasting" bit from my routine...but I didn't dump enough.

I thought about bailing (I really didn't think this audience was gonna be into my "sucks working in an office" material) so I waited outside for Kim, my bud that was meeting me there. We decided that at the very least, it'll make a good story. During the show, Deeanna and her friend Mary showed as well. I apologized in advance (in fact, I offered Mary her money back after).

This 50 something year old Jewish woman sat right in front of the stage. He went on around 3rd. She brought her purse onstage so that no one would steal it. I don't remember any of her routine, just that she had lipstick all over her teeth. She spent the rest of the show eating an apple that she brought while watching the comics with what can best be described as an angry confused frown (I actually cracked up watching her more than the other comics).

Other "highlights" included...

A guy who sat there doubled over with his head in his hands during my entire act....and he was a comic. Naturally I sat stone-faced during his set.

Another older guy doing jokes about his "honeydew list" - as in "honey do this and honey, do that." Kim thought he was gonna tell us that he's on the Seafood diet. After he finished his set, the MC, this annoying short woman scolded him from the stage for leaving the mic stand in the back of the stage.

A Dominican dude who barely spoke English (I felt like I was in my Gotham Writing class). One of his jokes went like, "Who here pay rent. I no like.
It period...bloating, crampy." He came up to me after the show to tell me that I did well...or at least that's what Deeanna told me that he said. I had no idea.

As I thought, this dude who asked the crowd, "Who here lives in the projects?" got more response than I did when I asked, "Who works in an office?" Oh well...My set did "eh"...some laughs, but not nearly as much as I deserve (HA!).

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: