Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I Missed a Spot

So I had a date Sunday night. Since one of my fave comics, Dave Attell, was performing at Gotham, I figured we'd meet for a drink and then see him.

Here's my new favorite thing about being a comic - Management at Gotham actually treated me like a bit of a big deal. Waiting on line, one of the assistant managers walked over to me, shook my hand, and asked if I was getting comped.
"I dunno."
"Here." He pulled out a couple of free passes. "If they don't comp you, give them these, and they will."
"Thanks!"

When we got to the front of the line, the guy who figures out where to seat people recognized me as well....
"Hey! Harris Bloom!"
"How's it goin'?"
"Good," He said, giving me our seating assignment. "You're both comped."
"Thanks!"

When we ambled over to the dude who actually seats us, it was more of the same...
"Mr. Bloom, how are you?"
"Good."

Imagine if I really was somebody.

As we got closer to our seats, I knew I had to make a decision. There were already two people sitting at our table. They had The Good Side... basically, facing the stage. My decision involved whether to sit on the outer-most seat or the one closer to the stage. Here's the dilemma: The outer-most seat is prolly more comfortable, so I'd normally give it to her. BUT, I had given myself a haircut (using a razor) earlier, and I knew there was razor-burn, but also, since I no longer have anyone to ask, I worry about missing spots. So I was worried about me looking like some kinda missing link as she stared at a few patches of hair on the back of my head for the entire show.

I ended up giving her the outer-most seat and remained self-conscious for the duration. And I know she was staring at it, cause every time I turned around to say something to her, she was looking at me. So yeah, I know.

btw - Rachel's claim to match.com fame is that she's the ONLY person I think I've ever met who under "turn-offs" had clicked on "thrills."

Come again?

Upon cross-examination, she claimed she meant horror movies, which contrary to popular belief, isn't a big deal for me.

Though she agreed to have dinner after the, I'm not sure she was diggin' me as by the time I got home and logged in to match to tell her that I had a good time, her profile was gone.

Ack.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: