Sunday, November 5, 2006

Six "Shows" in Three Days

As an epilogue to the "Seat Sniffer" story from last week, Tobin went up to to Steve the next day, when I wasn't there, to reiterate that he in fact, was not sniffing his seat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY, I put shows in quotes since they all weren't quite shows in the traditional sense...here's a quick rundown of them...

Friday Night - Gotham - I was the first comic on after the MC. There was actually a decent crowd there (about 80 people). How'd I do? Meh. For some reason, I was more nervous than usual (nerves I had in my first six month doing this, not recently). The crowd was kinda cold as I walked on and left them kinda cold. Yup, a job mediocrely done!

On a related note, went out afterward - I highly recommend the chicken tenders at Jake's Saloon, which is down the block. They're awesome...And get 'em spicy.

Saturday Night - Open mic at The Village Ma - I had a spot at The Comedy Village Saturday's night's pro show so I figured I'd get to the village a bit early and do an open mic. By the time I got there, there were four comics still there, and zero "real" audience members. I get up when my name is called and do my seven minutes in almost complete silence. Open mics...they're faaaaantastic!

Then I walked over to The Comedy Village to do the spot that I had won last week (check your archives...I'm sure you save all my missives). It goes very well, so well that the manager asked me if I wanted to "bark" there. Barkers are those dudes who annoy the crap out of pedestrians by handing them flyers and/or asking if they wanna see a comedy show..btw - I get this "opportunity" to stand in the freezing cold for a couple of hours because I'm good, mind you (though some clubs will seriously put up anyone on their pro shows if you're willing to do stuff like clean the toilets (believe me, I can't blame NYCC, I think I'd wear a haz mat outfit just to walk in there)

Sunday afternoon I MC'ed a dog Halloween costume contest. Between the fact that it was cold, windy and football Sunday, I didn't do much comedic material. Besides, the dogs didn't seem to be getting my jokes.

Sunday evening, I took three subways to go to two open mics in the same club (New York Comedy Club). The first one (at 7) had about ten comics there. When I walked in a chick with a thick German accent was goose-stepping on stage. Ya just never know what yer gonna see at the NYCC (though a roach or mice are good bets).

The second mic featured the aforementioned "dude who cleans toilets for stage time comic." He's Latino and can barely speak English. In fact, I think he got his best laugh when he mentioned how my girlfriend and he "consumed" a child.
I interrupted - "I think you mean 'conceived.'" He took the time to stop his set and write down his new word.

I got home at 11...went to bed, only to get up when I heard Stewie (dog) making odd, licking noises - I got out of bed to investigate and found a trail of dog crap all over the bedroom and him licking it off his paws. At the very least, I really wish I discovered all this before I stepped in it. Oh well.

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: