Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Off The Deep End?

My love of dogs is well documented. I much rather hang with them than the vast majority of people, and I think that anyone who kills a dog should get the same punishment as someone who kills a human. And I'm not even kidding.

So, it may not surprise you that the other day, when it was pouring, and I saw two dogs chained to a post outside a convenience store, howling for the owner, I felt the need to stop and share my umbrella with them. The only part I'm embarrassed to admit, is that I did hesitate before stopping.

At first, the dogs looked at me curiously, while wagging their tails. I didn't want to pet them as I didn't know how they took to strangers (especially those with umbrella weapons). Eventually, their attention returned to the door of the convenience store and started howling again. And I just stood there, thinking people who passed by musta been wondering, "Why doesn't he tell his dogs to shut up already?!?"

Then I wondered what the owner was gonna say, and what I was gonna say to him. To be honest, even I would feel like a bit of an idiot telling him/her that I felt bad for your dogs getting wet. So, I needed something else to say. I figured I'd say, "I was waiting for my wife anyway," while nodding towards the store, so I thought I'd keep these lil guys dry" The only problem with that is I'd be stuck waiting till the guy was out of sight or he'd see my explanation was some sort of ruse.

I was still thinking what to say when the guy came out. He looked at me for a second, then unchained his dogs from the post, and walked away. Not even a "thank you" for being a man-servant for his dogs!

Man, I hate people.

Harris

5 comments:

molly said...

and THATS why you continue to hate people.
they can really suck, man.

COUNT SNEAKY said...

May I ask with all due respect, Harris, if that had been a homeless man, who appeared to be intoxicated, would you have stood over him with an umbrella until help came? I honestly don't know that I would.What do you think?

Harris said...

molly - word.

Count - Nope - definitely wouldn't - I have a soft spot for dogs...not people (though I did once hold an umbe=rella over someone who didn't have one as we waited for bus - very awkward five minutes

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Harris said...

Thanks anonymous!