Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Quaker/Irish Wedding

Man, I thought this was gonna make for an awesome entry - my girlfriend's brother (Irish) marrying a Quaker chick...but nothing exciting happened - just a good time - played out pretty much like a regular wedding...BUT....

I can see why my girlfriend told me she wouldn't have fit in when i asked her why she wasn't in wedding party - when i walked in and saw the bridesmaids together, i immediately thought of the Delta Mu's from Revenge of the Nerd's..what she meant was that she wouldn't fit...not fit in.

Funniest thing never actually happened - Upon entering the bride's house, there was what I thought (and my girlfriend thought the same thing was a protective "runway" so one doesn't walk on their carpet that extended thru their living room...thankfully I didn't use it as it turns out, it was the wedding dress...now THAT woulda been funny...i could see her dress getting all wrinkled with sparkly things broken or hanging off (just imagine sparkly things) and her pointing at me throughout the night whenever talking to yet another one of her relatives or friends.

As per their Church's tradition, there is a moment of silent prayer during the service during which time anyone can get up and say something to the bride and groom - i implored my girlfriend to get up...she impored me not to - after a few uncomfortably silent minutes, someone got up and babbled something like "Best of Wishes to both of you...Welcome to the family"...after a couple more hours (or so it seemed) the brides kilt-wearing brother (he played the bagpipes while people entered the church...no one even thought they were Scottish...i think he just likes wearing a dress) got up and blubbered how much he loves his sister...thankfully he was too choked up to say much else - he's in his late 20's and i heard him remarking later in the evening how this was one of his "most fun night's ever"...When I asked him his other "most fun night's ever", he told me that one was when he won a bingo pot at the weekly church social, another was when his parents let him feed the family goose by himself (they do have geese), and the other was when he ate a jawbreaker

i was seated at table with groom and bride's parents - I was opposite Quaker Dad - he looked a little like King Tut from Batman TV show - Since he was opposite me, he kept staring at me...of course it made me look more...and we ended up getting into staring contests (he won as his "look" frightened me)

Quaker Dad did drink Champagne during toast - i think his anti-alcohol harangue prior to wedding was just cause he didn't wanna pay for alcohol...and i guess it worked as it was a cash bar - good thing i'm a lightweight (though Merlot at $3.25 a glass, I was tempted to take a few glasses home)

They had a DJ who played all the normal wedding crap (though thankfully the macarena didn't make an appearance)...the dancing was whiter than white...My girlfriend was the only person there with much rythym...i just wound her up and sent her on the floor pretty much...actually, i felt like Donna Pescow to her John Travolta....we'd be dancing and then eventually, I'd feel out of my league and just stop and head for the sideline and watch her dance - it took her a half hour to realize i was no longer there.

Instead of clinking glasses to make them kiss, each table was supposed to come up with a song that featured the word 'love' in it, at which time, they were sposed to kiss...my table ended up singing The Love Boat Theme after they rejected my idea..."I Used to Love Her" by Guns and Roses, which starts "I used to love her, but i had to kill her...I had to put her...six feet under...but I can still still hear her complain" - no, i didn't see if Quaker Dad was singing, but I'd pay good money to see him sing my song solo

Anyway, that was it...good time...no great stories...i am hopeful for my next trip as I may be taking a day off in the next couple of weeks to go to prison

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: