Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The "C" Word

Being Jewish and all, I'm always worried about being classified as "cheap." Nothing's worse than being a cliché (though I wouldn't mind being yet another wealthy Jew...so I guess I just don't wanna be a negative cliché). And I don't think I am (cheap, that is); but apparently Tara (girl I'm seeing) disagrees.

I had a spot at a bar last Friday night at 10 PM. I also had dinner plans with Tara at 7. I told her that we'd have dinner, I'd run to do my spot and then I can meet her back at her place, or I could just go home (we had plans for Saturday anyway). When I was about to leave, she suggested going with me to the bar.

"Ummm..."
"What? You don't want me to go? I thought I was being nice and supportive."
"You are, it's very cool of you to wanna go. The only thing is that if you go, I gotta take a cab, both ways."
"So?"
"Well, if you ALWAYS accompany me to me spots, that's gonna cost a lot of money."
"You're joking, right?"
"I should prolly say 'yes' here, right? I also don't want you to wait with me...I dunno when I'm gonna get on."
"THAT I could buy, but that isn't your real reason."
"It could be?"
"But it isn't."
"No, it is!"
"Whatever."

That's when she dropped the "C" word on me. Indignant, I carried on the conversation for several minutes; long enough so that fearing being late for my spot, I took a cab to my gig. Solo, natch'.

I walked home to partially make up the difference.

What?!?

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: