Sunday, March 12, 2006

Open Mic Notes

Did Underground Lounge open mic last night...it's a bar but the back room has a stage and seats for shows.

One comic, who has some experience, got pissed off that no one was laughing at his set. "What do I have two heads up here?" - he also made fun of the audience when he knocked over the mic stand. "Oooooh...he knocked over the mic stand. Relax new guys, no reason to get yer panties in a bundle."

Another comic told me that dude's been doing open mics for 10 years...no wonder he's so angry.

I was scheduled to go 12th. When the 3rd,4th guys were on, I was drinking a Diet Coke when I noticed that some of the condensation was falling off teh glass and onto my lap. I went immediately into panic mode (I cant get onstage with a wet spot there) and started rubbing it...but was worried someone would see me and think I was jerking off to the comedians.

Went back there on Thursday to do another open mic. It gets a big college crowd as the front room was packed, noisy and kept spilling into the back room (aka - The Lounge part) - not easy to focus on your stuff when only a velvet curtain separated us from drunken frat boys and sorority chicks screaming over music , but whatever...

Last Wednesday, I performed as an opening act for this experimental-type off-broadway theatre thingy. Got a few laughs...nothing big, but at least I got some experience in front of a normal (i.e. not comedians and not friends) audience. Two great things about it

1. My name was in the program.
2. I didn't blank out on stage


Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: