Monday, March 29, 2004

Cafe Mozart - A Review

So on Saturday night, Bronwen and I went with Florencia and her very German husband Andreas to an Argentinian restaurant, but that's not what this review is about. We then went see Sweeney Todd at the New York City Opera, but that's not what this review is about. We finished off the evening at my favorite dessert establishment, Cafe Mozart, where, after deliberating longer than the Martha Stewart jury, I decided on the Mud Cake. THAT will be the subject of this review.

Though I've been to Cafe Mozart dozens of times, I don't think I'd ever gotten the Chocolate Mud Cake. Perhaps due to its inclusion on rib joint and Pizzeria Uno's menus, I didn't think it was worthy of an atmosphere where a piano player plays hit tunes from the 17 and 1800's. I had always gone for The Peanut Butter Fudge Cake or The Death by Chocolate or The Black Forest Cake or The Triple Decker (see menu below)....oh, what I have been missing.

Denser than the Vietnamese jungle, this slice of heaven is truely something to behold. Combining Vienesse fudge, chocolate mousse, and bittersweet chocolate pieces may seem like chocolate and chocolate related overkill to some, but let my assure you my friends, it was just the right anount of kill. The texture was like eating Skippy Extra Crunch Peanut Butter...except all chocolate...and I ate this with a spoon rather than my finger (umm, sorry Bronwen).

As soon as the first morsel touched my lips, I closed my eyes and was immediately transported back to grand ol' Austria circa 1784. I was sitting in an Austrian restaurant with three others eating a slice of chocolate mud cake and listening to a piano player. Then I opened my eyes sine I was already doing that...and my eyes crust over when I leave them closed for too long. Then I took my second bite. Then I ate some of Bronwen's raspberry sorbet. Then I put some of Bronwen's raspberry sorbet on my chocolate mud cake. Then I swished her raspberry sorbet into my chocolate mud cake. Then I just ate some fo my chocolate mud cake. Then I told Andreas to look at the pretty picture on the wall and ate his cake. Then I...

Anyway, it was yummy.

http://www.cafemozart.com/desserts.asp

Rock On,

Aitch

No comments: