Friday, October 19, 2007

Comics for Canines: UNLEASHED (Summary)

Quite frankly, I was rather nervous all day. Not only was I gonna do dog-run specific material I had written for the show, but I think having 100 people in the audience that I know is a little scarier than performing for perfect (or imperfect) strangers. Not only that but I had several of my comic friends on the bill, and no one wants to bomb in front of their buds.

And then at 4:30 PM, one of my headliners cancelled, which is probably a producer's worst nightmare (other than getting hit by a car on the way to the show). After talking to a few comic friends, I decided to give the comics booked a few extra minutes (and thankfully, I really had three headline quality comedians).

So I was onstage, launching into my dog run material...and I forgot it. Seriously...after one of my jokes, I totally forgot what came next (besides sweat). Thankfully, I had the wherewithall to (seamlessly?) launch into my normal MC fake crowd work material ("Any college students here? Well, I went to Queens College...Any birthdays? Well, I just had a birthday...")

Anyway, I did well, even with the beads of sweat pouring down my face. To be honest, it woulda been difficult for me NOT to do well, as everyone there was there to see me (and support our dog run). I prolly coulda taken a crap onstage and got applause.

The real stars of the show were the comics who followed: Joe DeVito, Jill, Twiss, Doug Adler, Robin Fox (who I pulled off the street), Josh Homer, Mick DiFlo, Bernadette Pauly and Jim Mendrinos (who did 25 minutes through the check spot).

Seriously, every one of 'em did well, some (Joe, Josh, Robin and Bernie) killed.

I can't thank you guys enough (actually, that is prolly enough right there) for doing the show - I got tons of "thank you's" from the dog run people - EVERYONE had a great time and they're already looking forward to next year's show.


My next benefit show will prolly be in January. The beneficiary and location will be announced shortly.

Aitch

p.s. thanks to Al Wagner for hangin' too.

No comments: